Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 67: Rings, Parkour, Back on the Beach

Aidan had the day off school today.  He missed out on going on this really cool field trip to Santa Barbara with Mr. Vanderveen's science class, and he was so mad at himself.  The day started out with him beating himself up over it, and then saying how bored he was.  I talked him into loading our bikes on the car, and we drove to Back on the Beach to go for a ride.  As soon as we pulled off PCH into the parking lot at Back on the Beach, Aidan said, that's Aunt Lisa!  My sister pulled in with her friend David just as we were taking the bikes off the car.  Lisa was taking David to lunch for his birthday, so we joined them and all ate lunch in the sand.  Lisa and i have been coming to Back on the Beach for a decade or so.  When the boys were babies they were so happy to play in the sand under the table while we noshed above.  Now that they are older they can always go play football while waiting for the food to come.  Today I changed up my order and tried the fish tacos.  Usually I say you don't come to Back on the Beach for stellar food -- you come for atmosphere.  But today I had quite a decent lunch - it was a real treat. (more...)









Afterward, Aidan and I rode south toward the pier where we saw a few clusters of Japanese girls taking pictures on the beach.  Aidan said, "Mom, why are they all wearing big, chunky shoes on the beach?"  It was not the most practical beachwear.  But they looked like they were having a blast, posing with each other.  Past the pier we stopped so Aidan could swing on the rings.  He swung all the way from one end to the other, and then back almost all the way again.  Lisa and David joined us, and David brought his two dogs, Kenya and her pup.  David climbed the ropes and did some fancy moves on the top.  He coached Aidan in trying to climb to the top.  Lisa did a kickass job climbing the ropes.  I tried the rings and right away felt I had 5 blisters on my hand. Aidan and I were amused/entertained and ultimately, horrified by a man singing in the outdoor shower cleaning his body, especially the naughty bits, so thoroughly it almost got really obscene.  We could not stop laughing at the spectacle.  There was a beefy, orangy-tan Muscle Beach guy in his late 60's chatting us up, and then we met the parkour guys -- two young guys -- around 21, who were doing these great parkour stunts.  When I called out goodbye and happy birthday to David, the parkour guy, whose name was Nick said hey, it's my birthday too, man, I'm not even kidding!  He was so cute.  He told me Aidan should come study parkour with him at the beach, he gave me his email address.  We tossed the frisbee for a bit.  What started out as a dud of a morning turned into a fantastic afternoon.  We rode north back to our car, loaded the bikes and headed home, sweaty, sticky, sandy and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment