Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 61: The Office

Today I went back to my office, the Santa Monica Public Library on the corner of 6th and Santa Monica Blvd.   The new Main Library was designed by Moore Ruble Yudell (MRY) of Santa Monica and finished in 2006.  The new library presents a strong civic presence in the heart of downtown, just a few blocks from the strip of car dealerships that line the Boulevard.  I've been coming here to write for the past couple of years, on and off, and for the most part it's been great.  The library is well-stocked, the staff is knowledgeable and helpful.  There are many nooks and crannies with great lighting right next to the wall of windows that provide a great setting for me to try to get into my head, turn off distractions and write.  The only glaring problem is that all the homeless folks who used to hang out in the old Santa Monica Public Library are still around, and they like to hang out here.  When I scope out a spot to plant myself and work, I like to choose a double desk with a young-ish student, or a female of some sort who looks fairly safe.  Inevitably, I wind up next to, or near a grunter who, with Turrett's-like randomness, will utter a grunt every two or three minutes, while he shuffles his papers and mumbles to himself.  Sometimes I have to pick up and move once or twice.  I have learned on rainy days to avoid the library at all costs.  The smells in there on those days are just too potent and distracting.  And the secret I have figured out lately is to work in the "quiet room" that seems to be mostly for serious studiers - cell phones are shunned and talking is not allowed.  It seems to be mostly students and stressed out grad students, so this is the new place for me.  I love the outdoor cafe tables in the sun outside the little snack bar/cafe in the center of the courtyard.  Today, in-between procrastinating with my iphone, and answering it as it inexplicably rang off the hook (on vibrate), I got into my writer's head and was happy for the escape, and the chance to get a little work done before I rush back to school to pick up the kids at 3:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment