Friday, January 7, 2011

Day 50: Star in (OK, appear in) TV show!

My girlfriend Lauren is in town producing an episode of her show, Food(ography) for the Cooking Channel starring Mo Rocca.  She needed someone to take the keys from Mo, tip him a buck, be a bitch to him and drive off, so I happily obliged.  When Beckett and I first got to the Viceroy we got to go behind the scenes and watch them film a few scenes.  Beckett loved the scene in which Mo Rocca is sitting on a groovy yellow Viceroy armchair surrounded by two hulking twins (actual guys on the crew) posing as twin bodyguards.  As they stoically sit there Mo acts like a diva and throws his cellphone at one bodyguard demanding fish tacos.  Beckett thought that was great.  Thank god he stifled his laugh until after the director yelled, "cut!"  We snacked and shmoozed.  We got to hang out with Remy, the awesome pint-sized chihuahua who was shivering, even though he wore a chunky wool sweater.  Lauren ran a smooth ship -- it seemed like the crew was having a lot of fun too.

Then it was time for my part.  I wasn't nervous, as they are not paying me and must therefore have extremely low expectations.  The plan was for me to bring Mark's BMW to the set, leaving the mom car at home.  My only fear was that I would spazz out and not operate his car properly, which of course I did.  Apparently if one of the doors is open you cannot put the car in gear, so, ashamed, I had to have the valet guy at the Viceroy drive the car into place for the shoot.  I was being such a chick.  Mo wore a suit, sat in the Beamer and, looking into the camera said he has learned in order to be treated well at a place like this it's best to show up in a really expensive car.  Then as he gets out and I walk up, it is clear he is the valet dude.  He says to me, "Here you are, ma'am" and I have an attitude with him, hand him a buck, say, "here you go," and get in the car and prepare to drive off.  After a few takes I was really getting into it - I know my motivation - I'm a bitch and he is a peon.  It was awesome!  After three takes we nailed it.

Ever wonder how people and societies were shaped by food?  Take a look at cultural food themes by learning about the past, present and future of iconic, classic and tasty treats.  Cooking Channel, Sunday nights at 9:00 

No comments:

Post a Comment