Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day 66: John O'Groats


Mark and I found ourselves child-free this morning, so we decided to treat ourselves to a nice grown-up breakfast. We thought we would try the new restaurant in the old City Bakery spot, called Farmshop in the Brentwood Market. Farmshop is elegant and comfortable. We ordered iced tea, and then as we looked at the menu, I saw the two omelette options (one an omelette, the other a fritatta) were 19.00 and 22.00. Neither was what I was really in the mood for, and unless this omelette was made of gold, I was going to have huge problems with it. Twenty two dollars, REALLY??? We decided to leave.

We ended up at an old favorite which we haven't been to in years -- John O'Groat's. John O'Groat's, consistently on every top breakfast list in Los Angeles, did not disappoint today. It is owned by a guy, Paul, who Mark went to high school with. He is always there to greet us, I think he is there seven days a week. We waited in the cozy little waiting room of mismatched chairs and sofas by the front door until we heard the magical words, "Rebecca, party of 2." Mark, a gluten-free man, loves this place for the buckwheat pancakes with raspberries and pecans. I got an omelette with wild mushrooms, provolone, and tomato. Now I'm not saying this is a bargain joint, but I would argue that the 14.00 omelette here is just as good, if not better than Farmshop. And I didn't feel sick when we got the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment