Monday, November 8, 2010

Day 4: BevMo!

First of all, I love a store name that has an explanation point.  It's exciting!  If I had known about BevMo! and their 5 cent wine sales, I may have moved out to L.A. sooner.  What a store.

The first time I saw a BevMo! sign I was in Valencia on the way back from Hurricane Harbor with two soggy 6 year-old boys.  I made an emergency stop off the freeway.  Was this the BevMo! that I had heard advertised on the radio all those times and never yet seen?  And could it be possible, oh my god...it was happening...the 5 cent sale was on.  I brought the soggy boys inside and was really hoping they wouldn't have a spontaneous nerf ball catch and break a dozen wine bottles.  I had to be quick.  This was the supersized wine store.  Not a quaint mom and pop shop, but still, not without many virtues.  The staff was knowledgeable, and lo and behold, from a great selection of wines, many from Napa and Sonoma, I could buy one bottle and get a second of the same variety for 5 cents.  I picked out a pinot and a cab.  4 bottles for the price of 2.

Well now I don't have to make up excuses to go to Hurricane Harbor just to pop into BevMo!  There is one in my neighborhood on Wilshire just west of Centinela.  I went there for the first time today.  I had in tow not two, but three boys, who were piggy back and wrestling, and ...deja vu...I had to beg them not to do that, and impress upon them how important it was not to make any sudden moves in there.  I spoke with a friendly gentleman who helped me pick out a decent champagne for my friend.  I chose a nice pinot and a nice cab, and the second of both of those was 5 cents.  When I got home I checked out their website.  I discovered you can order for a party and pick up in store within an hour.  There is a groovy looking guy named Wilfred who is apparently a superb wine geek who travels the world investigating wines and blogging about them for the BevMo! site.  They also have events and tastings that they list on the site, happening in their various locations.  I thought about Miles in my favorite scene from Sideways, when he reluctantly agrees to go on a double date with Jack at Los Olivos, as long as no one orders merlot.  


Jack: If they want to drink Merlot, we're drinking Merlot.
Miles No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any *#$@**g Merlot! 

I'm guessing Miles would not approve of an institutionalized big box wine shop such as BevMo! but I can set foot in there any day, and still respect myself the next day.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I read this and laughed! I celebrated my 21st birthday shortly after I got here to Los Angeles so... I've been here a little over 20 years now (no comments please). I completely love the idea of committing to do something new and zany everyday and rekindle that Los Angeles love affair. Now... I'm on my way out to my nearest Bev Mo! so I can raise a glass and toast you- and your blog! -X- Kimber

    ReplyDelete