Sunday, November 28, 2010

Day 20: LACMA

 


My mom is visiting from New York and we've been having a great time.  Yesterday we went to LACMA with my sister, Lisa, and my son, Beckett.  Beckett, Lisa and Mimi chased each other through the maze of lamp posts that make up Urban Light.  Inside, we started with the modern collection upstairs.  I particularly liked seeing the large-scale ceramic Matisse, La Gerbe (The Sheaf) 1953 commissioned by Los Angeles couple Sidney and Frances Brody from the artist in the 1950's.  Beckett photographed everything from Picasso sculptures to Jackson Pollock paintings.  We took a little late afternoon lunch break, then headed to see the Olmec: Colossal Masterworks of Ancient Mexico.  My son loved the enormous basalt portrait heads of the rulers of the Olmec civilization.  The heads weigh between 7 and 10 tons each.

No comments:

Post a Comment