Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day 16: Cabana

If Liberace and Lily Pulitzer had a child, it would be Cabana.  (There is supposed to be one of these ~ over the n - Spanish pronunciation.) At 1511a Montana Avenue in Santa Monica, this outrageously feminine shop is one I somehow never went in before.  Beckett and I were on our way to look at the rescue puppies on the corner, and we were drawn into this festive place by the pepto pink christmas tree and the four parakeets just inside the doorway.  We noticed the owner, Laura, painstakingly painting and gluing these lovely Christmas ornaments.  She has been making them for years - painting them, decking them out in glitter and Swarovski crystals.  They are really amazing.  We enjoyed watching her create her designs, which she hangs on the pepto pink tree and sells.  As I looked around the resort-wear/home decor shop I found myself longing to be a Palm Beach socialite sipping a dirty martini on the lawn, effortlessly chic in one of these preppy, summery tunics.  In addition to the resort wear she also sells sandals, note cards, frames, and assorted lovely tsotchkes.  Beckett's favorite parakeet was named Mango.  Mango's companions are Kiwi, Banana and Consuela.  Next time I am feeling low, I'm going to stop into Cabana.  It is impossible to feel depressed in this place of pink possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment