Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Day 19: Mitsuwa

I have always wanted to check out this Japanese Market in Mar Vista.  I entered expecting a market, but was surprised to find mini Japan.  There is a large book store, a small video store, a boxed gift area, a gift shop, a coffee bar, a Shiseido make-up counter, and two restaurants.  And, a market.  I shot a photograph of the video shop and the security guard rushed over and told me no pictures.  I spoke to someone at the customer service desk and mentioned I wanted to take a few pictures.  The woman there shut me down.  "Private property.  No!"  Oh well.  I poked around.  So much to take in.  This is the kind of market that can be dangerous for me - if I don't come armed with a recipe I will end up with two bags full of sauces and noodles that will rot in my pantry. I bought four things, tofu, California roll, spicy tuna roll and half a dozen eggs.  I was sure the checkout person made a mistake ringing me up - the total was 13.98.  The price for two sushi take-out dishes in Whole Foods.  I absolutely loved the gift shop - "Trendy."  There was Hello Kitty paraphernalia right next to a Toto toilet on display, for sale for $500.  There were cute vacuums that looked like they could efficiently clean a smart little studio apartment.  There were tea sets, rice cookers, erasers and backpacks.  There was a community board which made me realize there is a nice community vibe to this place, well except for the photography rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment