Monday, November 15, 2010

Day 10: Hike in Santa Monica Canyon






My girlfriend Kalli turned me on to this hike at the top of Capri in the Palisades.  Turn north on Capri off Sunset and keep on driving until the road ends, then go to your right on Casale and park.  Walk all the way down Casale until you hit the dirt path which turns into a seldom used private road - this is the beginning of the hike.  Sometimes we hike up toward the boy scout camp, other times we hike part of the way up and then do the stairs that lead deep down into the middle of the canyon.  It's really serene and gorgeous, but I don't recommend doing that part alone since it is way off the beaten path.

Today we hiked part of the way up with the dogs, then let them off leash for a steep little path that goes up and around, and leads back to the road.  Teak, Buddy and Lucky had the time of their life, exploring and foraging through the woods, seeking out ticks that I would later have to brush out of their fur.  It's not often I get to take my city dogs off leash - Lucky is too crazy at the dog park, so they have been relegated to boring walks in our neighborhood on the leash.  Hiking is a great workout for both of us.  The thing I love about this hike is that even though it's only a couple of miles north of my house, it feels like a true urban escape.  It's an amazing spot with great views of L.A., the ocean, and Steven Speilberg's little mountain.  His compound is impressive.  I tried to drive up there years ago but at a certain point you have to turn back because the road is private to keep out stalkers and "star map" looky-loos.  Here is Lucky taking Joy Behar's advice and stopping for a few moments to enjoy the view.  Lucky dog.

* just a note - there are a few times on weekends I tried to do this hike and there was traffic to and from the boy scout camp at the top.  Weekdays have generally been just people, dogs and mountainbikers... no cars *

No comments:

Post a Comment