Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 25: Walt Disney Concert Hall

No, I did not go to a cool concert, but while downtown today I popped over to visit Nnogo at her office on 1st Street.  The last time I really hung out in this neighborhood was a year and a half ago on jury duty.  Nnogo usually has much cuter footwear, but today wore her post-op comfy black surgical mule/slippers and was a trooper to hobble on over with me a few doors down to the Walt Disney Concert Hall cafe.  This, sadly, was the first time I have been inside this gorgeous, amazing structure.  Far and away my favorite building in all of Los Angeles.  The Frank Gehry design is sleek, sexy and modern.  But it's modernism is a complete departure from anything that was thought of as modern before.  It's more futuristic, and manages at the same time to be soft, and beautiful.


Inside the casual cafe, Nnogo and I caught up over lunch.  We sat right underneath a t.v. screen that, inexplicably, was showing I Love Lucy.  I had a great cup of vegan pumpkin soup (yum) a salad and a few slices of fresh bread.  I showed her some of the pieces I picked up from the metalsmith I work with on Grand.  I wondered why we hadn't met up here before, it's only five minutes from the jewelry district.  I walked Nnogo back to her office and headed home, just in time to get to avoid the nasty rush hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment