Friday, December 17, 2010

Day 39: Ramen

I was driving through the vast cultural wasteland that is Sherman Oaks as I left my accountant's office, and wondering what I could blog about.  Then I saw it.  A sign for ramen.  My son Aidan and I are a little obsessed with ramen.  I told him I am not going to worry about him in college at all now that I know he knows how to make his own ramen.  I hung a hard right into the mini-mall and pulled up to Koraku Ramen.  The menu was really interesting.  I thought about ordering the Tenshin Men - a shrimp omelette with ramen over a soy-sauce based soup.  This entree would combine my love of eggs, and shrimp, and ramen...sounded too good to be true.  It might be really weird and disappointing...I wavered.  I started to realize that almost every other item on the menu had pork, which sort of bummed me out (I have never been a fan of the "other" white meat.)  The waitress informed me they could make any dish without pork.  Whew!  I ended up ordering the House Special ramen, which had all sorts of exotic vegetables in it, and eel to boot.  When I got to the car (I'm a big car eater,) I realized this is possibly the least driving-friendly meal, but I had to get over the hill on the good ol 405, so this is just the reality I had to deal with.  I also realized I couldn't chow down on much of this soup right now because it was piping, piping hot.  After a few sips I decided the flavors were great.  And then I saw the side container which I opened up - the ramen is separate!  I was loving the ramen bowl, and i hadn't even added the ramen yet.  Needless to say, after the ramen was added it was a perfect bowl of food.  I slurped a little before I got on the freeway.  Over the hill, after I got off at Wilshire (doh, should have gotten off at Sunset and avoided all this congestion) at a red light I slurped a little more.  At my next appointment I slurped up even more, never even getting halfway through the takeout tub.  I can't wait to go back to Koraku.  I'm starting to like the Valley. A little.

No comments:

Post a Comment