Sunday, March 20, 2011

Day 93: Mr. Cecil's Rib joint

This joint, opened by a rib-loving former Hollywood studio exec. in a funny circular hatbox of a building in West L.A., is apparently The Bomb if you like ribs.  I don't, but my husband does, so this blog is for him.  According to the New York Times, "The meaty, tender St. Louis-style ribs are particularly outstanding, with a spirited but not overpowering sauce.  Afficionados of pecan pie should also keep this place in mind. Plus, it's the only rib joint in town where you can order a bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild."  Now that I've read that, I may be able to get behind the concept of Mr. Cecil's after all...I do love me some pecan pie...and Chateau...still, this strikes me as more of a guy place.  My sister went on a date with some guy a few months ago -- when they walked into this rib joint she knew this would be their second, and last date.  The great thing about Mr. Cecil's is that it is half a mile from my house.  On Valentine's Day I got Mark the best gift he's ever received from me (he's not easy to shop for.)  It was a full plate of ribs with all the fixins.  So if I'm ever in the dog house, it's off to Mr. Cecil's I go.  It is hard to scowl through all of that gooey spirited but not overpowering sauce dripping off your happy face...



http://www.mrcecilscaliforniaribs.com/

2 comments:

  1. Is that fried okra in the bottom photo? The boys LOVE fried okra - they'll take it over french fries any day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it is fried okra, it does sound like a very Atlanta thing! I remember a great "down-home" cooking place you guys took us to. I would like to try fried okra. I'll ask next time if that's what it is.

    ReplyDelete